Thursday, October 14, 2010

The ever debated Mac vs PC - Brand Loyalty

I have not always been a very electronic savvy person, I guess I still wouldn't consider myself that savvy. When computers first came into public schools I hated them, wanted nothing to do with them. I couldn't type and I had no idea how to get to anything on the hard drive. How silly it all seems now. Through middle school I only typed up assignments if it was mandatory. I would have rather written three drafts to make sure it was all right. It wasn't until high school that I really participated in the computer world. We had a PC at home, no idea what brand (that in itself might tell you something) and I used it for word processing, some games and the internet. Then came university, I moved to Montreal and had to have my own laptop. Again a PC, it was what my parents knew and had always had. As an aside, I bought that laptop in 2003 and I found it a week ago while cleaning. My god that thing is bulky and ugly!

The thing I remember most vividly about all the PCs I ever used were the VIRUSES!!!!!!!!! Oh and the few versions of Windows that just never worked out very well. So, was I ever moved along the brand continuum with PC? Well I supposed I accepted them, but definitely never moved into the preference stage.

Now it's time for College in a completely different field than science which I took in university. I read the requirements for the advertising program and I need a new laptop, a Mac is suggested, I had never heard of Apple before. (Brand awareness) At this point I'm dating a guy whose brother is a computer tech, so I ask for some advice. After a few minutes of talking to him there was no doubt that he had moved through all the stages of the brand continuum with Apple/Mac and was very brand insistent. Well if he thinks Macs are the best and the school suggests it then I should check them out. After hearing all the benefits especially for a creative program I decide to buy a Macbook Pro. (Brand acceptance) I take it home and try it out. At first I'm frustrated with the new look and operating system and the fact that the close and minimize buttons are on the left side of the windows, not to mention the fact that none of the files I have saved from before on my old computer are compatible with me new Mac.

A few weeks pass.................

I've gotten the hang of everything and am starting to use the different programs. It's a beautiful computer with a sleek design, and everything just seems easier to do.

A year later.....

It's Christmas time and all I want is an ipod! Yes, I've decided I want an mp3 player and obviously I want it to work with my baby - my Macbook. (Brand preference) My parents look at prices and compare ipod to other brands. The consensus, we should get her a different mp3 player ipods are too expensive. This gets relayed back to me and I feel my stomach turn. But I love everything about Apple and the ipod, it's hip it has a huge amount of store, a big screen, comes in sweet colours, and has so many other cool features. Don't bother getting me one if it isn't an ipod. (Brand insistence)

I guess my story boils down to, Apple did a good job moving me along the brand continuum. I went from being completely unaware of the brand to brand insistence in about a year and a half. What's more, I rave about Apple to all my friends, so they're getting positive word of mouth advertising as well!

1 comment:

  1. That’s a nice article on computer brands. By the way, I have a laptop because of its portability feature. But I have to buy soon a LCD computer too for my home. But I do not have idea of brand which I should buy. Can you tell me guys?

    ReplyDelete